The first step that I took in my commitment to living a natural lifestyle was to switch deodorants from the commercial, aluminium-filled stick I had depended upon since puberty to one with fewer chemicals.
Here’s the skinny:
Aluminium is a common ingredient used in commercial deodorants to keep your armpits fresh, odor and sweat-free. However, aluminium causes cells to swell, squeezing the cell ducts closed so no sweat is able to get out. Aluminium is commonly known as a neurotoxin linked to breast cancer and several neurological disorders.
Lymph Nodes are organs of the lymphatic system, oval-shaped and distributed widely throughout the body. Acting as filters for foreign particles and cancer cells, they are essential for proper functioning of the immune system. There are 20-30 axillary (or armpit) lymph nodes and they drain lymph vessels from the outer quadrants of the breast through the walls of the chest and into the abdomen.
Learning this information led me to wonder why, ON EARTH, I was putting aluminium directly onto these precious pathways that directly affect my immune system.
I dropped what I was doing and rushed to the store to find a better solution. Over the course of the next few years, I have (almost) tried it all. I tried the crystal deodorants that left me less than fresh (yuck!) and a little soggy. I tried the commonly known ‘natural deodorant sticks’ with the same issue.
I quickly learned that my best solution was crystal deodorant and an additional THICK layer of talc free ‘baby’ powder was necessary if I had a chance to make it through the day without repulsing anyone that got too close to garner a sniff (or a whiff!)
I toyed with the idea of making my own deodorant, but the task proved daunting and seemed to cost a small fortune. After searching high and low, I have come up with the following and I have to say, things have been sunnier since! (Ask my husband, he is happy, too!)
Follow these steps to a clean, natural way to be inoffensive to those around you while protecting yourself from harmful chemicals.
First and foremost, detox those armpits!
- Purchase some Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay. It is a Calcium Bentonite Clay that can be used for detoxification, renewal and cleansing.
- Following the directions on the jar, “mix clay with equal parts of raw apple cider vinegar.” (You will observe a cool reaction upon mixture.)
- Apply to each underarm for 20 minutes.
- Rinse and exfoliate underarms with exfoliation gloves.
- Repeat daily for seven full days.
- After a full week, detox every Sunday as an on-going health regimen.
Every time I have used this clay, I can, literally, smell toxins being released from the pores. (Pretty cool! Or, gross, depending upon where your opinion may fall.)
- Venture over to the Fat Face Skincare® website (or Amazon!) and get yourself some Stank Stop®. Available in both men’s and women’s fragrances, they combine Organic Coconut Oil, Aluminium-Free Baking Soda, Grass Fed Tallow, Shea Butter, Arrowroot Powder and essential oils.
- While it’s not necessary, on long days or when I need a ‘refresher,’ I apply Leap Organics Soothing Lavender Body Powder.
If you, too, have been searching for a solution or you haven’t made the switch from aluminum-free, my tried and true methods will keep you clean, fresh and odor-free!